Friday, July 2, 2010

Kristen's Pig Puddin'

Let me first start by saying this recipe is the complete opposite of healthy and natural. This blog isn't meant to lecture anyone about healthy living or is it meant to give you the false impression that all I eat is natural, organic foods.

I started this blog to help myself find balance in my life. My entire life. Not just the food. At that point in my life everything was out of control. My emotions, my marriage, my relationship with the squirrel, and my eating. Since starting it I feel like I've finally found that balance. Especially in what I eat.

Enough with the serious stuff. I guess I just need to explain that not everything on this blog is about healthy living. It's about enjoying the junk food too. Just in moderation.

This is by far my favorite dessert. I figured I'd share it with you just in time for the July 4th festivities.

It was inspired by Billy Bob's Beach Barbeque in Pensacola, FL. I really just tried to recreate their pig puddin' recipe. I'm not sure if it's even close to the real recipe but it tastes exactly like it!

You start with an 8x8x2 pecan pie. I just bought one already made in the bakery section at the grocery store.
 


 

Then I use my KitchenAid mixer and crush it up.
 


I leave some chunks of pie crust in there.
 


I stir in 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. Then I gently fold in 1 cup of coolwhip.
 


I throw it back in the fridge and serve it super cold with more chocolate chips and a dash of cinnamon.


Kristen's version of Pig Puddin'. I promise you'll love it!
 


Whole recipe:
Grocery List

1 8 inch pecan pie
1 cup cool whip (defrosted)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Crush entire pecan pie into bite-sized pieces. Mix in chocolate chips, and cinnamon. Fold in cool whip using a rubber spatula very gently. Refridgerate until ready to serve.

Leave me a comment if you try it and if you make any adjustments!

15 comments:

Lisa @ I'm an Okie said...

I dont tend to like blogs as much when it's ALL healthy food. I like seeing junk food recipes and decadent desserts JUST as much as I like to see all the healthy stuff. It's all good baby! but like you said, moderation.

Unknown said...

OMG, girl that looks so very tasty

homecookedem said...

Omg. Omg, omg, omg!!!!!! This looks wonderful!!!!!!! I'm sure it's so rich and heavenly that all you need is a little to make the tummy so happy and satisfied!! :) Thanks for sharing!!

Genesis said...

look at that...you dont even have to turn the oven on!

LegalMommy said...

That looks amazing!

Shannon said...

I had to read that twice...I've never heard of throwing a whole pie in a mixer! But it looks wonderful and decadent! Enjoy your holiday weekend :)

Kelsey Ann said...

i dont doubt how delicious this is!! i just posted something today that looked similar to this. such a tasty combination, always in love with a genrous shower of chocolate chips! <3

Krista said...

That sounds decadent!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Holy mother of God. I applaud people who blog unhealthy food....we all need a break sometimes, right?

I absolutely love pecan pie, chocolate, cool whip, so I'm sure I'd love this!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! said...

This sounds excellent! And I agree, life is about more than just eating perfectly healthy all the time. It's about balance! Balance definitely involves pecan pie concoctions.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

mmm, that looks amazing!

Were ya'll stationed in Pensacola? I went to school at there but I don't think I ever went to Billy Bob's.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Amanda, we were stationed last year in Pensacola! That's where the squirrel was born. We LOVED it there and really really want to go back... Maybe eventually. Pensacola has incredible restaurants!

Faith said...

I've actually never heard of Pig Pudding before! This looks delicious, I'm going to save this recipe for after Thanksgiving when I've got leftover pecan pie!

Have a wonderful holiday!

Bryan Chaffin said...

I've used your recipe a dozen times. Practically perfect. (especially since billy bob's is now closed and I can't get the real thing.)

Kristen said...

What?!!! NO WAY!!! We loved that place!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.