Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4th 2013



How was your July 4th?  What did you eat?  That's always what I ask people.  I love July 4th food... Almost as much as Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Yeah... It's right up there with those!  I love burgers and hot dogs and dips and summer desserts and sweet corn.  I love everything that isn't paleo about it.

We were invited to two places to eat yesterday.  When I woke up I had a little moment with myself.  We agreed that I could eat what I wanted as long as I stuck to the guidelines.  Portions would be small, I would try to eat paleo, I wouldn't sit and pick at food (eating mindlessly), and if I didn't really love something I wouldn't eat it.

Y'all are gonna think I'm nuts but I read a horoscope on Wednesday that said "You have all the tools to do what you need to do.  Stop resorting to old ways of doing it.  You can do what needs to be done."  

Starting off my day with the correct mindset actually worked.  I didn't eat mindlessly- by the way that's something the Whole30 actually got rid of!  I don't do that at all anymore!  I ate with a purpose yesterday.  I had a hot dog with a bun because it's one of my favorite summer foods.  I had sweet corn. I ate a couple chips with dip- I didn't really love them so I left most of them on my plate.  I even had a scoop of chocolate peanut butter ice cream.  My favorite ice cream flavor ever.

I constantly reminded myself when I was presented with food to be mindful and to follow the rules.  It was actually pretty easy.  When I got home last night I didn't really feel like crap, I didn't feel guilty, and I felt pretty damn proud of myself for overcoming something I've been battling for a long.... LONG time.

So here's what I ate:

I started my day off normally.  I didn't restrict calories like I would have in the past.  Two eggs, spinach, coconut oil, and coffee.

I ate a banana on the way to the gym and had a protein shake right after.


I had lunch at my mom and dads.

I had a burger, sausage, and an ear of sweet corn.


At the fireworks I had a hotdog, a small scoop of blue cheese and bacon coleslaw (AMAZING!) and pasta salad, plus chips and dip.

Plus I had that scoop of ice cream.







What did you eat yesterday?

11 comments:

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I kept things light in the a.m. HB eggs & smoothie post workout plus some jicama while running around getting ready to go.
At the party I ate fruit salad, ambrosia salad, a few chips & a burger wrapped in lettuce. I also drank 1 beer, ate a couple choc covered strawberries & small piece of cake.
I had a nice time, ate what appealed to me and feel fine about my decisions. Today I'll follow my hunger cues and probably eat a little lower carb. No guilt either on my end.
*high five* to us :)

Kristen said...

Yessss! And again we are on the same page!

Bree Moseley said...

I had yogurt in the morning with some berries (don't usually, but after 9 months I'm finally getting sick of eggs), a sausage for lunch, chips and my parent's homemade salsa, and dinner was mostly paleo. Scallops, steak, potato salad, and cauliflower couscous....oh and mayyyybe some tequila ;) Not too bad, and totally worth it. I feel like if you beat yourself over not eating strict all the time, it just turns into an unhealthy relationship with food, which completely negates the point of paleo. Thank you for honestly sharing your food choices with us!

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats said...

Blue cheese and bacon coleslaw!!!!! I'm salivating.


Unfortunately I had to work in the afternoon (the place I work part-time was in charge of the city's fireworks and parade)...so that was kind of a bummer. I didn't get to eat any fun foods because I was too busy running around for them!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Happy 4th! What adorable pictures of your kids, and I especially like the last one with you in there, too! Looks like you had a great day. :)

Jess @ PaleoJess said...

What a great day! Thanks for giving this Aussie an insight into what the 4th of July is like, I'm guessing its very much like 'Australia Day' here. A day of celebrating with summer BBQs, sausages, lamingtons and pavlova. When I've had celebrations like this I've always allowed myself a little bit of what I 'want' but stop when I'm full. Yes one of the things the Whole30 has taught me is to stop eating when I'm satisfied and I am absolutely ok with that. I used to eat until I couldn't move :(

catwon said...

Awesome tips & guidelines!

Kristen said...

Thanks girl!

Kristen said...

Aww thank you :)

Kristen said...

Actually I thought of you when I was eating that coleslaw! It's so something you would make.

Kristen said...

You are totally right! If you are constantly guilty about what you eat then it just starts a bad cycle.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.