Monday, July 8, 2013

REVIEW: Kodiak Cakes

So I know what a lot of you are going to say. Kristen... pancake mix is not paleo. I know I know. Here's the thing, Kodiak Cakes has a special place in my heart. It was one of the first products I tried when I gave up the Easy Mac and Cool Ranch Doritos.

It's also been a part of a family tradition of ours for awhile now.

Every Sunday I break out the griddle.


And the kids each grab a bar stool.


I get out the pancake mix and the kids get to measure, pour, and flip.

This happens every Sunday morning and we use the same pancake mix every single time.

When Kodiak Cakes asked me if I wanted to do a review I jumped at the chance.


What I love about the pancake/waffle mix is that it's super easy to make.  You only need water.  No egg.  No oil.  Plus the ratio is one to one.  I can make a big batch or just a single serving.  It can't get any easier.  The cooked pancakes also freeze well and you can find the mixes at Target!

While we do love them plain it's rare that we make them that way.  


One of our favorite things to do is add 1/4c of chocolate chips to the already prepared 1c of mix and 1c of water.

The kids call them chocolate chip dippers.  These are LB's favorite.

They also like banana bread pancakes.  I add 1T walnuts chopped finely, 1t cinnamon and 1/4c mashed banana to the mix.

Squirrel likes the banana bread pancakes the best.

My favorite is when I add 1/2c of fresh blueberries to the batter... topped with butter and maple syrup!


Both mixes- the buttermilk and honey and the whole wheat oat and honey are big hits in our house.


Do you have a food related family tradition?

*Disclosure:  Kodiak Cakes sent me two boxes of pancake mix and the apron in return for a review, however, the views and opinions expressed are purely and entirely my own.

9 comments:

Jess @ PaleoJess said...

Our tradition is pizza nights Friday night and pancakes on Sunday, I make Paleo versions for me and clean gluten free for the boys :) those look awesome!!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

My husband loves Kodiac Cakes, and I have to agree that it's the best boxed mix I've seen.

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats said...

I've never had this mix - but they look great! We are usually a 'pizza Friday night' family at this house!

Kristen said...

Oh man! You've gotta try it!

Kristen said...

It's so good!

M. Love said...

I'll have to try it!! :)

Marissa McClellen said...

I was able to review this last year and my family LOVED it but I haven't been able to find in stores :-( your variation sounds yummy! I made a batch of the waffles, wrapped them in freezer wrap and they stayed fresh a long time!! Cute apron!!!

Kristen said...

Oh man! They are at my local Target and health food stores here.

Tiffany Campiotti said...

So fun. We do breakfast for dinner on Thursday nights :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.