Monday, January 13, 2014

Munchkin Meals: Paleo Lunchbox

Today I followed this little munchkin's meals.


Whenever people ask me for help regarding picky eaters the first thing that comes out of their mouth is "they WILL NOT eat ___".  Well let me tell you a little bit about my daughter.  She doesn't like eggs (never has and probably never will).  She doesn't like ground meat (burger, pork, turkey, chicken).  She won't eat mushrooms, onions, sweet potato, or anything that looks yucky.

Here's the thing… She loves kale, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, green peppers, oatmeal, steak, pork chops, fish, chicken, any fruit, and the list goes on.  I accept that she doesn't like things and I think people need to do more of that.  Especially when you realize what they already eat!  I'm not going to push eggs because I know she eats a pretty good variety of meat.  I'm not going to push spinach because she eats a pretty good amount of other vegetables.  "Pretty good" is perfectly fine with me.  Is she still offered the things she doesn't like.  Absolutely… and we always follow the one bite rule (take one bite of everything on your plate).

So here's what she ate for the day.  Starting with breakfast.

Rolled oats made with water topped with grass fed butter and pure maple syrup.  Plus a banana and a cup of organic whole milk.  Remember she won't eat eggs so we are struggling with a paleo breakfast for her.  I'm sticking with gluten free until I find a solution!

I packed her a mid morning snack for school.

A gluten free fig bar and a little bit of homemade trail mix (almonds, pecans, cashews, and raisins).  She has water with her snack.

For lunch she got her first paleo-ish lunchbox!

A paleo chocolate chip cookie, unsweetened banana chips, leftover chicken, leftover white potatoes cooked in grass fed butter, and clementines.


Plus a juice box on the side.  If someone could recommend a water bottle that doesn't leak when it's laid down on it's side and is easy to open that would be GREAT!  I haven't found one yet and am tired of spending the money for them.

This is what she brought home:

SUCCESS!

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day so dinner for everybody was rough.  My "had a bad day" or "need to buy groceries" meal is always this for the kids.

Organic chicken, jasmine rice, broccoli, and carrots.  Everything was cooked in either grass fed butter or coconut oil.

What did your munchkin eat today?

No comments:

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.