Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Whole30 Thoughts

The past few days have been a whirlwind for me. It feels like its been a month. I've eaten pizza, a rice krispy treat, and a burger... With the bun. I feel bloated, I'm not sleeping well, and I'm craving sugar.  Basically, my relationship with food and my willpower is not quite what I wanted it to be.

I think I ended my Whole30 too soon. I had just got in a good rhythm and just started really listening to my body. I had just stopped the mind battles over sugar and mindless eating. I should have gone a week or so longer.

Maybe I shouldn't have announced I was doing another Whole30 on Instagram.  To me a Whole30 is an all or nothing thing... There's no "well everything but this one thing"...  I was going to say I was going to do the Whole30 but keep paleo pancakes and protein shakes...

No.  There are no "buts".  There are no exceptions.  You either do the Whole30 or you don't.  Right?

So instead of labeling myself and saying I'm doing another Whole30 I'm going to say I'm going to eat super strict and very Whole30-like for the next 30 days (except for protein shakes and pancakes!).  I'm also going to be a super strict blogger.  Did you notice I took a little bloggy break?  Whew blogging for 30 days straight is tough!  I'm a busy mama!  I probably won't post every day but you will see what I eat every day!  Infact, I plan on posting every meal.

So let's start with some paleo meals I've been eating.  

Thanksgiving sweet potatoes (recipe coming soon!), hot dogs with kraut and kale chips, fritatta, and paleo pancakes!

Yesterday I had a serious stomach thing going on.  I woke up so nauseous.  I never threw up but didn't want to eat anything.  I took an hour long nap yesterday if that tells you anything.  I never nap.

I pretty much lived on bananas, cashews, and smoothies yesterday.  I probably at 5 bananas.  It's the only thing I wanted.

This morning I felt much better so I tried eating some frittata...


I ate a good bit of it but my stomach started to hurt again.


Normally when I have a stomach bug I eat crackers and ginger ale.  Not anymore!
What do you eat when you feel sick?

10 comments:

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I had a similar "I should've gone a little longer" thought. I feel like I've reigned it back in though and I'm just cruising along at the moment. I also felt the need to break after 30 straight days of blogging. Hope your tummy is better today!

Leslie said...

I'm right there with you. Being away this past weekend has completely derailed me and I feel miserable. I need to keep working on my relationship with food.

Abby said...

I recently started following you! I'm a week behind you (just finished my whole 30 yesterday). I really appreciate your honesty and your meals inspire me too! Also, you seem way more organized than me! I'll try to work on that. Keep your posts coming I really enjoy them!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed said...

Blogging almost every day was definitely a challenge for me as well! And ugh, post Whole30 is so hard!

Kristen said...

It really is!

Kristen said...

Aww thank you Abby! I'm not as well organized as it looks... I try though!

Kristen said...

Same here girl!

Kristen said...

I think maybe just a week or two longer would have helped me.

Kristen said...

Exactly! I seriously felt awful. Like sick sick. Blah!

honey said...

I think its crazy to go month to month with one's mind and focus and goals on doing a "whole 30" or eating "x" way, etc etc...goodness, much better to live life and eat wholesome foods (no "paleo" , no "vegetarian", no "x" thing). I see Caitlin at HTP and she grabs eggs/toast/fruit for breakfast, beans/grains at lunch, smoothie for snack , pb sandwich for supper etc etc....or kath eats has a nice big salad with a grain, protein, fat....or me who might have a 2 egg omelet with avocado, salsa, veggies and a side of coconut oil on toast, etc....just eat....notice how Caitlin and Kath just live and talk about other things in life (versus making a monthly go to do "x " diet or eat "strict" etc etc...

I read this recently (among MANY other posts): http://huntgatherlove.com/content/breaking-paleo

Paleo and whole 30 etc are not the be all end all....one could just as easily fall into the books by Mark Bittman, or Michael Pollan, or Colin Campbell, or Raw Foodists or Vegans, or SCD, or paleo, or the whole "real food " movement (a la "cheeseslave", etc...who promote sprouted and soaked grains, and etc etc)...or Ray Peat, or "eat for your oxidation type" or "eat according to the metabolic typing diet" etc etc...

where does it end? better to live life and eat an all encompassing diet ...no?

I notice a lot of the paleo-ers or others, etc...well, thats all they talk about...preaching about paleo OR how they messed up on whole 30 OR how they feel sick OR about their food only, etec....whereas people who just eat talk about a whole lot more...of course that's not 100% valid, but as a general overall line of thought....

good luck..your smoothies look good...are they filling? I wonder if they are thin or thick?

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.