Monday, October 22, 2012

Meal Prepping



I might be new to paleo but one thing I've learned about it is that it's tricky.  If you aren't prepared for it you won't succeed.  I've always been big on meal plans but eating a paleo diet has definitely made it a must.  I plan every single dinner.  I also have a defrosting schedule.  Not only does this help me keep my sanity it saves us money.



Anything that comes out of the freezer goes into our defrost bowls in the fridge and is ready to use when I need it.


We go grocery shopping every weekend. The first shop is always the big one. We buy all the meat we need for two weeks plus any odds and ends like butter, coconut oil, nuts, and stuff for the kiddos.  The second is just a refresher and usually involves tons of produce and the random things we forgot the week before.

This Saturday was just a refresher. It looked something like this:


Acorn squash x 2
Spaghetti squash
Apples- a whole bag
Grapes
Whole wheat organic pasta (for the kiddos)
Red peppers x 2
Coffee x 2
Sweet potatoes x 4
Grass fed butter
Pears x 5
Avocados x 5 (some ripe some not for later this week)
Onions- a whole bag
Spinach
Baby Lettuces
Carrots
Bananas
Zucchini x 4

When I get home I get busy (usually in my pajamas )


I chop onion.
 

Then I put it in a reusable tub so I can easily add diced onion to anything.


I double check the defrost bowl to make sure I have the meat in there for the first part of the week.  I wash most of the produce.


I hard boil eggs and usually make a frittata for breakfasts.


There are also many times where I prep dinner or other meals during the kids nap time.


All this meal prepping might sound crazy but it keeps us prepared.  I love planning meals and making sure we have all the ingredients for it.


Do you plan meals?

4 comments:

Morgan said...

I need to plan meals more often. I find that it really does save money and time because I don't buy random stuff at the store and I know exactly what I'm making each night. Thanks for this!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Morgan It is a little hard in the beginning and it can be annoying at times but it's totally worth it in the end! Once you get a basic meal plan done you can easily repeat meals to help with other weeks.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily said...

Meal planning saves us SO much money and time! I love having everything planned for the week and not having to think about what we have for meals. I go shopping Saturday mornings and then spend the afternoon chopping,slicing and packing away fruits and vegetables.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

You and I sound so much alike!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.