Saturday, March 9, 2013

Paleo As Of Lately


It's easy to read this blog everyday and see what I eat.  You can absorb some of the meal ideas or since I'm not very good with words, just look at the pretty pictures.  When someone new to paleo comes to read I can see that they may be confused.  I don't describe things very well.  Maybe because I get bored with repetition?  I can only say one egg, one egg white, with spinach so many times before I think y'all think I'm stupid.    


I had a question from someone the other day about recipes or meal plans I could recommend.  Since the husband left things have drastically changed around here diet wise.  What I'm doing now is much different than a month or so ago.  I make all of my meals on Sunday and eat them throughout the week.  Plus I'm way more strict on treats or indulgences.    


Here are a few snippets of the email I sent back to her.  Renee I hope you don't mind me sharing this!  Maybe this can help you out if you are transitioning to paleo or help you understand what I do on a daily basis.


First of all just know I am fairly new to paleo and I'm still researching all the scientific reasons behind everything.  Also, I only know what works for me and my husband.  Everyone is so different.  


I like simple meals.  Honestly, if something has more than like five ingredients I move on.  I try to stick with fairly simple things when I eat.  I don't use recipes with a zillion ingredients and I don't make a bunch of different things.  I like to throw it all in one pot or pan or make two dishes.

Here are our favorite meals that I rotate the most frequently.  Mind you none of these my kids eat so I make them something separate.  You get used to making the multiple meals and since I make mine on Sunday I just have to make theirs during the week.  

• Ground pork and sautéed cabbage, brussels, or collards
• Mexican meatloaf-  Serve with green beans or mashed cauliflower
• Pulled pork and sautéed cabbage, brussels, or collards, mashed sweet potatoes (just mash them with chicken stock and butter!)
• Hamburger sliders (just grill burgers, wrap in lettuce, and add toppings!) with roasted sweet potato fries
• Beef stir fry (some type of beef- ground or skirt steak works well cooked with carrots, peppers, and onions, sprinkled with coconut aminos) 
Italian meatballs with spaghetti squash

**I don't make paleo desserts.  Well I think I've made two.  I just don't like the idea of them.  If you want something sweet have a date with sunbutter or a piece of good chocolate. I don't like paleo cookies, cupcakes, ect... Maybe it has something to do with the nonexistent will power I have.  I know... party pooper.**

I go grocery shopping while my kids are at school so I can focus.  I meal plan when they are asleep so I can focus.  And I meal prep on Sunday while they are busy... so I can focus.  I've made food a serious priority in this house.  It needs quite a bit of focus!

• What I do on Sunday is make two meals (I used to do three but it was way too much food).  It's just me because my husband is deployed.  So this Sunday I'll be making ground pork with sautéed brussels sprouts and paleo pad thai.  I'll eat the pork for lunch and pad thai for dinner.  I like eating the same thing over and over.  You may not so you may want to make more meals.  I'm hoping to just double the amount when the hubs comes home.  He doesn't mind repeat meals either.  

• I'll also make freezer smoothie packs (just a banana and a few handfuls of kale or spinach in individual ziplocs).  That way I just dump it in the vitamix and add protein powder and almond milk.  So for breakfast I'll have either eggs and greens (spinach or kale), paleo pancakes, or a smoothie.  I try to get greens in the morning so its done for the day. 


• Finally I'll make a few chicken breasts in the oven to slice up for a snack.  I'm addicted to plain chicken with salt and pepper.  Never thought I'd say that!

Since my husband is gone I'm trying to lose more body fat.  I'm at a point in paleo where I can really pick and choose what I eat and my body adjusts easily.  For my "lean out" I've cut out sweet potatoes, the daily paleo pancake, paleo desserts, and nuts.  I've noticed some serious results but I don't think it's something you should do in the beginning.  I think you'd feel too limited and almost deprived.  


I still eat crap once in awhile.  I eat froyo, french fries, pizza, burgers, chicken wings with ranch.  You just can't do it all of the time.  

Here's a good question... Is my blog easy to understand?  What can I do to make things clearer or what would you like to see?

7 comments:

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Makes perfect sense to me! You're so organized--it's great!

Kristen said...

Thanks Michelle! :)

Kim said...

The Paleo Pad Thai sounds yummy! :)

Jess said...

I think your blog is pretty easy to understand! I feel like I'm a fairly new reader and I've grasped what's going on most of the time. I do like that you wrote it all out here though. Nice to know you're human and eat like crap once in awhile haha

cornwallst59 said...

Kristen, I love your blog and it's really my go-to for ideas. I stayed 90% paleo today and did pancakes with almond meal. A little dry, but I'll keep working on it. I'm going to try the pad thai this week.

Chrissy C said...

I think your blog is well-organized and very helpful! The pictures make it easy to follow your ideas and recipes. Thanks!!

Kara said...

One of the best things when I first decided to change my eating to the paleo way? Discovering that you were blogging again and that you had gone paleo too. I've used a couple of your recipes (and going to try more!) and it's great to read about someone who understands and has the same philosophy towards eating this way as I do. Keep it simple. :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.