Sunday, March 31, 2013

Whole30 April and Meal Prep For 4/1-4/7

So first of all this week has been insane.  That's why there has been a lack of blogging... obviously.   This whole month has actually been a bit over the top for me.  The month of April will not be stressful.    It's time to slow it down and gain some control on my life.  Tomorrow starts my Whole30 and I am so excited.  My body and mind need it and I'm more than ready.

Why I'm doing the Whole30:

I eat mostly primal.  I'd say 99% of the time.  The food thing isn't an issue.  I know what to eat and why I should and shouldn't eat things.  However, my relationship with non-paleo foods is not good.

If someone offers me a cookie I'll eat it.  I can't say no.  I have many foods that have no breaks.  Anything sweet, dried mango and macadamias.

I also eat mindlessly... a lot.  I need to be more mindful on what goes in my mouth. When I make anything for the kids I eat it.  A piece of pancake, slice of cheese, a bite of toast...   and I do it mindlessly.  I don't even think about it.  Not good.

I know it's fine to have a treat once in awhile but I need to be aware of what I eat and when I eat it.  I am really hoping this Whole30 helps my emotional attachment with food.  It's small but it's still there.

My goals:

• Drink a mug of bone broth every day
• Stay on top of my meal planning and prep so I don't fail
• No eating out!  The kids are doing this too.  No more Chick-fil-a runs.  Period.
• At least two liters of water a day.
• Only weigh in today (147lbs) and on May 1st
• No snacking!
• Focus on at least two veggies per meal

Meal Prep for 4/1-4/7:

• Bone broth simmered for 48 hours

**These quart jars are not supposed to be freezer safe.  I left a good inch or two headspace and I froze them without the lids.  I added the lids a few hours later.  Plus I froze them in that cake pan so if I did have a jar explode it would catch most of the glass.  All the jars are fine.**

Iced green tea


Spaghetti squash with meat sauce

1lb grass fed beef and 1 jar of Raos marinara sauce.  Plus a container of baby bellas.  Spaghetti squash, mushrooms, and the tomato sauce- three veggies for one meal.  Plus I plan on eating something else on the side like roasted carrots.

I portioned it into jars.


Ground pork with brussels and kale

All cooked in coconut oil in the same pan.

Roasted beets

This was my first time ever making and trying beets.  I'm so in love with these little guys.  I used this technique and they turned out amazing.

Coconut milk ready for coffee

**Y'all I had a time with coconut milk!  I am going to use it in my coffee for the Whole30 so I bought 6 cans at Whole Foods.  I never even thought to check the ingredients.  GUAR GUM!  Noooo.  So I had to get some from Trader Joes without it.  Check your ingredients guys.  You don't something that little mess up your Whole30.  Same goes with sunflower seed butter.  It's hard to find it without sugar here.  I had to do a little shopping around and finally found some.**


Who is Blogging About the Whole30 in April:
If you are blogging about it let me know so I can add your name!

Tiffany at Skinny Jeans and A Healthy Me
Paleo Jess

If you are on instagram make sure you hashtag whole30april!

13 comments:

Jess @ PaleoJess.com said...

We have the same issue with coconut milk here in Australia too, some of them have all sorts of stuff in it. I stick with one brand and one brand only and if they don't stock it then I don't buy any. I love the jars idea for your bone broth, can I ask why your drinking a glass a day? I've heard of people doing it but never known why. I've taken the hard line with my kids and hubs too, no take out at all and W is going off dairy full stop now that he is 2. This will be interesting...they fight me every step of the way :-)

Leslie said...

I am blogging too. Maybe not everyday but I will be updating. I didn't get to prep as much as I wanted today with Easter but am hoping to make up for it tomorrow.

I am scared and excited!

Danielle said...

You are going to do awesome with Whole30. I definitely have some habits myself I would love to break and I think whole30 might be the way to go. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the month!

Tiffany Campiotti said...

Nice prep! I love the bone broth goal! I love roasted beets. I've always cubed up the beets and roasted them....never done them whole. Good idea though. The mindless bites and licks of the kids food is a problem for me too. Yay for April 1st :)

Naz@CinnamonEats said...

Uhhh I've totally fallen off the wagon already after I said I was going to stay away from the sweets and treats! This long weekend didn't help! Today was the worst! Back on the wagon tomorrow! Not doing Whole30 per se but will be posting Whole30 approve recipes so watch my blog!

Kristen said...

Come on girl! You got that!

Kristen said...

It was hard for me today especially!

Kristen said...

I'm doing it to just get my body on track.

Unknown said...

Ugh, I hate getting label-fooled. I only get coconut milk from one place, too.

I'm guilty for kid-food-snacking too. Especially when there's just one bite lefto on the high chair tray. But as the husband always says, it's better to waste it than waist it!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

Spaghetti squash is amazing! I would almost rather eat that than actual pasta! :)

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I worked all last week on the "nibbling" thing...in an effort to make today easier lol. You got this!

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed said...

Ooooh add me :) I'm in!

http://busyboldblessed.blogspot.com/

Robin @Whole9 said...

Just a note: Guar gum is fine during your W30. No need to waste what you've bought :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.