Monday, April 1, 2013

Whole30 Day 1

Breakfast:

Leftover ground pork and kale.  Topped with avocado.  I made that last week and there was one portion left.

Plus coffee with coconut milk.


Lunch:

Two hardboiled eggs, massaged kale, and carrots.  I was in a hurry this morning to pack a lunch (poor planning) and this just wasn't enough.  I ate this at 12 and by 2 I was hungry!

Dinner:

Spaghetti squash with meat sauce and mushrooms.  Plus roasted beets and carrots.  Oh and some broccoli.  I definitely got my veggies in today!

Exercise:
One hour of pilates.  My goal fitness wise is to just not stop when I get tired or feel a burn.  As soon as a muscle burns I stop.  I'm a baby at the gym.  Gotta push past the pain!

Water:

I drank all two liters plus my whole water bottle at the gym.  I peed all day long.  TMI.  It was kind of annoying.

I also got my bone broth in this afternoon as kind of a snack.  It gave me something to do.


How I feel:


Today was just ok.  It's amazing how much stuff I eat that's not paleo.  I wanted to lick the hummus spoon when I scooped some out for the kids.  I also almost tried a gluten free noodle.  I didn't plan well for lunch so I was hungry and cranky.  I was determined not to snack and in return got a killer headache this afternoon.  It had to be because I was hungry.  Poor planning and poor decision making today.  Should have just had a small snack.

What did you eat today?  What would you change/add about my meals?  I need you guys to call me out on stuff!

Who is Blogging About the Whole30 in April:
If you are blogging about it let me know so I can add your name!

Tiffany at Skinny Jeans and A Healthy Me
Jess at Paleo Jess
Leslie at Violet Imperfection

If you are on instagram make sure you hashtag whole30april!

19 comments:

Leslie said...

So,e times having a snack is better than feeling cranky, today I didn't need a snack but I know there will be days when I do.

My first day went really well, it was actually easy. I feel really good today ad I am going to ride with it. Here is to day 2 tomorrow! We have for this!

Kristen said...

Exactly what I was thinking! Day one is DONE!

Shelly said...

Today was my day 1 as well! I thought my lunch would be big enough, but I found myself with a headache and a hungry stomach before leaving work. I think I'm going to aim for a small snack in the afternoon to get me through. Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day for both of us!

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats said...

I agree, have that snack (a healthy one) if it makes you less cranky and irritable. Your body is probably telling you something:)


PS - I hope you don't stop reading my blog, even though everything I post is stuff you can't eat! LOL:)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I agree that your lunch probably wasn't enough. Personally, I think a snack would be okay if that happens--better to feel good (no headache) then to force your body to keep going when it needs more. But maybe if lunch had had more to it, you might have been fine. Live and learn, right! :)

Melissa Love said...

Make sure you always carry back up stuff -- you got this! I'm joining in soon -- starting a little behind you but it's go time :)

Kristen said...

That's a good idea! I should carry stuff in my bag.

Kristen said...

You are exactly right. I'm trying to get rid of mindless snacking so I thought getting rid of snacks period would work. I think I either need to up my lunch intake or eat something small in the afternoon.

Kristen said...

WHATEVER!!! I read your blog every time you post. I need to figure out something to use instead of google reader.... I'm SO sad.

Iggy said...

Yes, you are definitely not eating enough and actually only messing poorly with your metabolism and hormones! Be careful. Your lunch? That's actually a snack...honestly. Even with very very little activity...and you exercise AND a mom !! More fats (add oils generously). And really I would like to roll my eyes at the thought that hummus is gonna hurt ya, but whatever, you are doing your own thing, none of my business. But at least eat more! Some more fats and carbs (squash? pumpkin? fruits? nothing wrong with that!!!).

Amber Nowak said...

Wow I really need to up my photography game! Your pics look great.

Jess @ PaleoJess.com said...

Ok so everything I was going to say has already been said! Honestly, if you are hungry then you MUST eat, it's not mindless snacking...it's fuel honey! Eat mindfully while you feed your body :-)

Kristen said...

I really do cook things in a lot of fat but I do agree with you! Hummus isn't going to hurt me but I've got to cut out that mindless eating of the kids food.

Kim said...

Definitely eat if you're hungry! I had a headache until Day 5! :\

Maria Spalding said...

I also had the headache til day 5! However, each day it did get better. Oh and the snacking... yes I too have had an issue with this; day 22 and going strong. I do snack when I've got a case of the hungry grumpies... but now I grab snap peas instead of a snickers. :) Best wishes on your 30 day journey! Rooting for you from Michigan!

Tiffany Campiotti said...

Learning to listen to actual hunger cues is a total learning process. I tend not to be super hungry in the morning but come 3-4 p.m. I am. Listening to WHEN my body is telling me to eat has taken some time to adjust to. The hummus thing cracks me up! I totally get it. I licked a spoon with rice on it (and I don't even like rice), then turned and spit the 5 grains into the trash lol.

clairechapman said...

I'm on Day 2 today too! Yesterday I had hardboiled eggs and apples for breakfast, sweet potatoes and a chicken leg for lunch, and bison lettuce wraps with sauteed kale for dinner. My favorite way to make sure I don't end up with too little for lunch is to make 6 or 8 whole chicken legs at the beginning of the week--fry them skin-side down for a few minutes in a cast iron skillet, then move them to the oven for 15-20 min @ 350. I've found that a whole leg (including the thigh) is a little more than I need in a single meal so I can have a few extra bites left for later in the afternoon! This is my 2nd Whole30 and I'll be blogging about it all month at http://theascentblog.com!

Kristen said...

Haha! I would have done the same thing. It's hard to listen to your body when your mind is determined to do the opposite!

Jeanette Ferguson said...

I love that you are blogging daily... does it make you feel better? I am thinking of doing the same?

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.