Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Food Labels Tangent

First of all:

I wanted to share with you guys two articles I read this week.  I heard this one on the radio this morning and I read Mel's post yesterday ago.  Both involve food labeling.  I hate food labels.  In this world of junk food and convenience food labels play such an important part.  People are uneducated on nutrition and will trust a food label or google over just about anything.  It seems like you can't eat anything anymore... In actuality you can't.  Almost everything in the aisles of your grocery store is junk.  No joke.  

Here goes a tangent but something to think about...

You can take the all in moderation approach but think about what moderation is... I apply so much of this to my kids because after all they are more important than me.  Plus I feel like they are more exposed to it than I am.  So I let them have chicken nuggets on Monday.  Then a handful of Goldfish crackers on Tuesday.  Then a rice krispy treat from school on Wednesday... See a trend?  They/we are always exposed and always offered.  Now add up everything they eat in moderation and apply that to their whole lives.  Apply that to their growing bodies and immune systems.  Children's immune systems are combating artificial sweeteners, additives, and pesticides starting at such an early age.  How are they supposed to fight illness and disease when their immune systems are already compromised fighting that crappy diet you are feeding them.

How about you?  How do you think it affects you?

OMG.  It drives me CRAZY and apparently makes me babble and go off on tangents.

So anyways, let's talk about today's eats:

Breakfast:


If you were on instagram last night you saw I got a big package!  I may have ordered everything there is to order at Steve's Original.  I'm serious.  I don't think there was anything I didn't order.  I even ordered a t-shirt.  The majority of it will go periodically to the hubs overseas.

I can't even show you what I got because he reads this and I want it to be a surprise for him!

I did keep a Cinnamon Paleo Krunch for myself.  I broke it open last night...


And immediately had to portion it out.  How terrible is that!


I munched on one portion along with my green smoothie this morning.  It would be a great idea to make a thick smoothie and sprinkle some Paleo Krunch on top...

Kale, unsweetened almond milk, a half a banana, and SFH grass fed vanilla pure whey.

Gym:  An hour of body combat.  Something was off today.  I was super tired.  Blah.

Lunch:

I made my leftovers a little more exciting with two new sauces!

I loved them both but I liked the maple mustard more.  I just like honey-mustardy things better than bbq sauce.

Two chicken thighs (one with the peach bbq and the other with maple mustard), salt and vinegar cabbage, and mashed cauliflower.

Dinner:

Simple scrambled eggs and bacon!

Tell me your thoughts on food labels.  Go ahead and get it all out!

4 comments:

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Oh boy, you don't want me to get on my soapbox about food labels. But I think we are on the same wavelength, for sure! . . . . and funny . . . I think you'll like a piece of my post tomorrow (about a petition I signed).

Danielle said...

I've heard great things about that Paleo krunch and totally don't blame you for portioning it out! I would have to do the same!

Kristen said...

I'll keep an eye out for it! Can't wait to read it :)

Tiffany Campiotti said...

Sigh, food labels. I have a feeling we're totally on the same wavelength. That krunch looks amazing!!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.