Friday, February 15, 2013

Cheater Cheater Yogurt Eater!

Well yesterday was short and sweet but today it seems like everything has a story!

Breakfast:

Pickin's were slim in the fridge this morning.  I ended up with three eggs scrambled.  They were our chickens eggs so they are pretty tiny.  Plus some blueberries that needed to be eaten.  I'm thinking I need to do more egg whites instead of the whole eggs?  Hmm...

I dropped the kids off at school and headed to Whole Foods... ALONE.  I've never been by myself before.  I saw Whole Foods in a whole new light.

I got to pick out my groceries without having a potty break mid shop or to stop to have to pick up a snack cup that was dumped out of the cart.  Ahhhh.... Boy was it nice!  $50 over budget nice.  Next time I'll have more control.

Lunch:

I can't lie and say I don't miss things that I used to eat.  I mean come on... I've spent the past 29 years eating pasta, bread, milk, cheese, beans, ect... All I've ever known is not paleo and my comfort foods and emotional connections with food are not paleo.  I miss sandwiches.  I really do.  I miss fresh sourdough bread with turkey, mayo, cheese, pickle, and lettuce.  I miss fresh whole grain bread with ham and swiss.  I've wanted a sandwich all week so today I improvised.

I did a not so primal thing and got some deli meat.  It was organic so give me a little break.  I added mustard, a fat, and some pickled things.

I wrapped it all up...

And it was almost like the real thing.

Then I added some chips...


And a soda.

Then it was perfect!

So I hate using the word "cheat" in association with food.  The husband has people talk to him all the time about paleo (people never talk to me about paleo... it's no fair) and he always uses the word "cheats" for off limits foods.  It drives me nuts because he also says things like "no carb/low carb".  I like saying "no grains"... I also like the words splurge or indulge.  "Cheat" sounds like such a bad thing...

Well this afternoon I cheated.  Big time.

There was no splurge or indulge in that hot mess.  That's plain grassfed full fat greek yogurt (the kids eat it) with Paleo Krunch.  At first I just wanted to see what it tasted like.  I had forgotten how much I love yogurt and granola.  Things got a little out of control.  I ate an 8oz container of yogurt with paleo granola in about three bites.  Redonk.

Dinner:

Since my little mistake this afternoon I kept it simple with some chicken and stir fry veggies.

Do you "cheat" or "indulge"?

11 comments:

Melissa Love said...

I still eat yogurt -- I had given it up and then brought it back for my smoothie and to help with my training program. Sometimes its the small things :)

Danielle said...

I hate the word cheat too. It just makes me feel so guilty! A little yogurt once in a while is totally fine in my book! I love it too much to give it up completely!

Kristen said...

I really enjoyed it. I've splurged on other things but could have done without it. Yogurt is something I really love so I might bring back just a little bit of it.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I say that I "indulge" or "splurge". In fact, I don't know that I've ever used the word "cheat" to talk about what I eat. It just seems so negative!

Jess said...

I think everyone needs to "cheat" every once in a while. :)

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I eat plain nonfat greek yogurt daily, because it works for me. I don't really consider what I do "paleo" though. Mostly, sure, but I don't necessarily like having a label because then I think people have expectations of what I SHOULD be eating.
Shopping without the kids is great, right? Lol.
BTW, I love that Kombucha. I didn't try the original for a long time cause I didn't think I'd like it, turns out its one of my faves. Cranberry, multigreen and original are my top three :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed said...

I follow more of a Primal approach (MarksDailyApple.com). Mark thinks if dairy doesn't bother you, then some full fat dairy isn't a bad thing in moderation. I'm also a fan of lunch meat for the convenience factor. Not an everyday thing, but good for sometimes, especially if you're picky. Maybe I'm just not very strict ;)

Sam Cgepaleo said...

I do indulge sometimes, and i don't feel bad about it! Many people who are 'big names' in the paleo world cheat too! I think it's fine, as long as the majority of the time you are eating healthy. Heck, I went CRAZY last night and had a bacon cheeseburger POUTINE! That would be hand cut fries, ground beef, bacon, cheese curds and cheese sauce. I don't usually eat dairy..so yeah. BUT, it was a fun experience with my boyfriend and oh boy was it delicious. This morning it's back to eggs and collard greens. I don't see a problem with it as long as you aren't making yourself sick!

Emily said...

I hate "cheat" too. Cheating implies you're breaking the rules to get ahead. I can't see how eating cookies or whatever is giving one an advantage :)

Kristen said...

I like that idea... Taking one day and just letting go a little bit. It can be overwhelming trying to stick to any sort of diet!

Kristen said...

I totally agree with you... And I have seen those big names splurge on their instagram accounts ;)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.