Friday, February 22, 2013

Yoga Class and Cod Liver Oil

I'm really focused on this "lean out" you guys... Today was an awesome day with eating.  I was a little hungry this morning but you know what...?  It's OK to be hungry!

Breakfast:

I'm steering clear of bananas so you'll be seeing a lot more eggs for breakfast.  I'm still debating on the Sunday pancake thing so we'll see!

This morning was one whole egg, two egg whites, and fresh spinach cooked in one teaspoon of ghee.  I need to be more mindful of how much fat I use to cook things in that's why I measured out the ghee.  I'm so used to just throwing a spoonful in.


I topped my omelette with a little bit of avocado.

I was told today by a stranger that I looked "glowy".  They were talking about my skin.  A few months ago I started taking the fermented cod liver oil that Diane Sanfilippo raves about.

I was a bit skeptical about it so I didn't order it for a long time.  It's pricey and I have a tendency to burp up fish oil.  Gross huh.

Of course the paleo diet is ahhhmazing for your skin but I really really think this stuff has made a huge difference.  My skin looks so different.  It's brighter and I do almost have a glow.  Plus my hair and nails are growing at a ridiculous rate.  It's hard to explain but y'all know what I'm talking about.

Gym:

I was so brave today.  I walked into a yoga studio and took a class... all by myself.  I was so nervous!  I've only taken yoga at the gym so it's not real yoga.  Plus yoga puts me totally out of my element and out of all of my comfort zones.  I'm not flexible, I'm not gentle, I'm not a calm person, and I don't really like to be touched.  I'm used to loud music, weights thudding on the ground, feet pounding on the treadmill, and people ignoring me because I have my headphones in.  While I was sitting on my mat before class I could hear everyone talking about some yoga person... and I had no idea what they were talking about.  Like I said I was really nervous.  I ended up loving the class and loving everyone in it.  I made fast friends with the girl beside me and could do almost all of the poses without a problem.

I'm so excited to start a new form of exercise!

Lunch:

This is the point in the day where I was hungry.  I forgot my snack at home.  I had a tuna patty (like how those turned out? haha) and massaged kale.

Snack:

I also had one date stuffed with sunbutter around 3.  One thing I learned today... Don't waste your time buying pitted dates.  They are so dry and hard.  Get the ones with the pit.


So good!

Dinner:

One pound of ground beef cooked in one large jar of Raos marinara sauce.  Plus spaghetti squash.  So simple!

What's the newest exercise you've tried?

26 comments:

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

So glad you loved your yoga class. I have never regretted adding my weekly class to my fitness routine. In fact, I now look forward to it!! I can't believe it--I was probably the least likely candidate, but instead I learned it's exactly what I needed.


I added a fish oil supplement to my diet about a month ago. I wonder how it compares to using cod liver oil . . . . I'd love to know.


Love dates stuffed with almond butter. It's like candy to me. Seriously. Nature's candy. And dinner looks delicious. Can I come over? :) Happy Friday!

Sam Cgepaleo said...

I wish I could come with you to yoga! it scares me too. i'm so inflexible and i bet i do all of the poses totally wrong. I need a yoga buddy :P I looove fermented cod liver oil. I take the gel kind, cinnamon tingle. I look forward to that fishy spice bomb everyday, LOL! I think it helps my skin, but it's hard to tell because i have changed So many things in the past few months.

Amanda said...

I've got to know. Is the cod liver oil fishy? Do you burp up fish? I am nervous about that! I want glowy skin though.

I love yoga. We go 3x a week, it's great for our marriage! It's helped me work through some injuries too.

allybillhorn said...

I have a post scheduled for tomorrow where I talk about yoga. I would love to get back into it. Question - does your gym have daycare or were your kids in school when you went today? The problem I'm having is our small town has a gym but with no daycare. The town I work in has many gyms but I'm only there 3 days a week for work and always have to rush home to get the kids. my husband works 2nd shift so I can never leave the house in the evenings, and we don't have family close enough to help...do you see where I'm going with all of this? Basically I have no time for myself...I'm really trying to figure out a solution!

Kristen said...

My gym has an amazing kid care and I use it pretty often. My kids have been going since they were both babies. Today though they were at school. It would be hard to do any type of yoga at a studio if you didn't have childcare. I'm not sure what I'll do this summer! We have a few drop in cares here though. They are really popular here. You just drop your kids off to play for a few hours while you do errands and things. It's really nice so I'll probably use that quite a bit in the summer. My family is here but they all work so I can only use them at night and on the weekends.

Kristen said...

Umm... Hmm... I don't burp up fish if I eat it. I've taken just a fish oil capsule before and it was gross. Minutes after taking it I was burping and it tasted nasty. I don't do it with the cod liver/butter oil blend!

Kristen said...

I need a weight lifting buddy! Actually none of my friends want to workout with me so I do most things by myself :( Not sure if I could handle taking a spoonful of cod liver oil! I agree that so many things have changed with me but I've especially noticed my skin lately.

Kristen said...

Girl if we lived closer we could cook for each other! Dates are like candy to me too :)

Lindsay @ fuel my family said...

I totally agree about it being ok to be hungry. Not all the time and starve yourself obviously but if its 4 pm and you get a little hungry, its ok to not eat and wait for dinner an hour later. Right now, its 1030 at night, i am getting a little hungry but i dont need to eat. I'll be going to bed shortly and eating as soon as I wake. And side note, I am going through old pictures to finally make picture albums starting from before I had Alyssa. I found some of Alyssa and Kylee when we took them to the childrens museum like 3 years ago. SO freaking CUTE!

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I do yoga at home. The idea of going to the yoga studio down the street frightens me lol. I don't have workout buddies either, just a simple setup in my garage...
I mucked up my knee again this week by going hard with an Insanity workout. Obviously I'm not ready to go there yet. It's going to be a lot of walking, yoga and weights till I feel like my knee can handle running again.
Have a great weekend!!!

Leslie said...

I think I could benefit from yoga but it scares me so much to take a class. I am so overweight and not graceful at all. Bah.

Kristen said...

Actually the girl next to me was very overweight. She did a great job and the instructor was beyond helpful. Just try one :)

Kristen said...

I really wanted to do yoga because I know I love it. I'm pretty good about just going and doing something :)

Kristen said...

I was hungry too last night and I just went to bed. We need to get together!!!

allybillhorn said...

Love that drop in daycare! We don'tt have that around here!

Kristen said...

Maybe you should start one! I know the drop in care here makes a ton of money ;)

Jess said...

hahaha omg that's always how my tuna patties turn out

Tiffany Campiotti said...

Me too! I totally have no problem going and doing things solo. More than anything, I think the cost is what has held me back. I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to most things. I also don't want to go, really enjoy it and then WANT to spend the $ more often (does that make sense?). I'm going to focus on using my yoga DVDs most days, as I love how it makes me feel.

Jen Pabst said...

It's ok to be hungry...that's what I've been trying to tell myself today! I love yoga...in my living room, not brave enough to try a studio yet!

Kristen said...

It really wasn't scary once I was there. There was such a mix of people in there. That's what I loved about it.

Anonymous said...

I do not know whether it's just me or if everyone else encountering problems with your site. It looks like some of the text in your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my web browser because I've had this
happen before. Thank you

Here is my blog; wiki.beagleboard.de

Erin @ Eat Run Write said...

It's working now, disregard my tweet! Good for you for going to yoga by yourself... I need to get back into it!

Danielle said...

I took prenatal yoga during my 2nd trimester and loved it. Now I'm waiting for my 6 week dr appt so I can be cleared to exercise again. I never thought I'd actually miss working out.

Sarah B said...

I love your blog! I totally look forward to reading it every day. Thanks for it!!! So happy to hear you loved yoga. I tried it about three years ago after an injury. I'm hooked. NOW... I teach it too. It has really changed my life. I still love weights and more intense workouts but yoga offers something truly unique. Good for you for trying a new thing!

Kristen said...

Oh I definitely miss it but it takes me a little bit. It's such a big part of my life!

Kristen said...

So glad you stopped by! I totally agree with you! Yoga is just SO different. Maybe that's why people are scared of it?

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.