Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekly Preparations

I spent a lot of time this weekend making food for the week.  Seems to be a trend for many people!

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.  Right?

So this weekend I made...

Homemade applesauce in the slow cooker.

8 apples peeled, cored, and diced with 1/2 cup water cooked on low for 8 hours.  Then just a second in the vitamix.  The kids love it.

• Chocolate chip pancake dippers

One cup pancake mix (we use kodiak cakes whole grain buttermilk and honey) plus one cup of whole milk and 1/4 cup enjoy life mini chocolate chips.  For the kids for breakfast this week.

A double batch of sunshine sauce.

To go with...

A mix of grass fed beef, mushrooms, carrots, green beans, peppers, onion, garlic and broccoli.

Sunshine sauce is amazing on top of this!

• A pork shoulder in the slow cooker.



For the rub I used 1 teaspoon of each- chili powder, garlic salt, salt, pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes.

Cooked on low for 12 hours no water required.

Salt and vinegar cabbage


Hardboiled eggs


A mix of ground pork, apples, onion, and kale.
I'll probably eat this with fried eggs in the morning.

Sweet potatoes

For after the gym.

Salted cinnamon coconut chips

For when I want something sweet.

• Random sauteed veggies
Lunch and dinner sides for the kids.

Just a note- I do use plastic containers to store our food but I do not reheat anything in them.  I have an extra set of glass tupperware that I use for things I want to reheat in the container.  Like the husbands lunches.

Do you meal prep?  If so what do you do?

13 comments:

M.Love said...

Good job -- how do you like the cinnamon coconut chips? I've thought about doing that? I'm running out of time today to get stuff done (maybe I should be prepping instead of reading haha) before the game -- need to get it together!

Danielle said...

Love all the meal prep! I'm getting so many ideas for next week's prep! Nice work!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I eat those salted cinnamon coconut chips all the time! I eat them plain or sprinkle them on as toppings

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Great meal planning! Do you do all of this once the kids are down for bed now that your husband is gone? Or are they pretty good about helping? I find that if I can get my kids into an activity for at least 30 minutes, I can usually crank out something in the kitchen:)

Have you started watching Downton Abbey yet? So good!

Anonymous said...

ooh I never meal prep, I just wing it last minute, but these are all such good ideas. I feel like I'll meal prep once I'm out of college/have a full time job.

Buttercup said...

Not enough this weekend. I am using up food in the refrigerator and the freezer. I realize that I overbuy and things are going bad. I've got to try making the coconut chips. I miss cookies! I know they're not cookies, but they would do for sweets.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

I am seriously impressed by all of this. I wish that I was that motivated on the weekends and already had much of my meal prep done for the week. I am good about meal planning, but am seriously slacking in the meal prepping department :/.

I am a big apple sauce fan, and homemade apple sauce sounds really delicious. Plus, your recipe does not even sound intimidating to make, either. Thanks for sharing :).

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I spend a chunk of time every Sunday prepping all my lunches for the week, so they are in grab-n-go containers for work. All the shopping for dinner items is done, and I do a bit of prep work as well, but not as much as the lunches.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats Yesterday my mom had my daughter and my son slept for an hour. I did most of that in one hour.

It's all a process though. When I get home from the grocery store I put them in front of a movie and I chop veggies and do all the pre-work. Then when it's time to meal plan I just cook.

I haven't started downton abbey yet! SOON!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl I actually just started it recently and it helps tremendously during the week. Not only is it easy to pull it out of the fridge and reheat but it keeps me on track. I don't want to waste the food I made so I have to eat it!

Tiffany said...

Nice! I do some prep, but not like this :) I love the crockpot applesauce idea. Myself and the kids are fans of homemade, I just haven't made any in a while. I'll have to put that on the agenda! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

I meal prep some but on those days where the dinner is all ready and in the slow cooker, i find myself bored in the afternoon while the kids are resting/sleeping. I truly love to cook so I like doing it everyday. I do wash, chop, and organize everything though. Meal planning however I do every single week!

Michelle said...

I meal prep some, but your bounty puts me to shame! Nice work! I haven't made applesauce in far too long - thanks for inspiring me. Organic apples are on sale this week and I keep buying a bag each time I'm at the store (which is often), so we have a plethora of apples hanging around.

I'm so jealous of your backyard chickens. Our HOA doesn't allow chickens or else we'd be backyard farmers too. )

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.