Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bone Broth

I was a little hesitant about making bone broth. After hearing it on the balanced bites podcasts multiple times I thought it would be worth a shot.

I went to Whole Foods and asked the butcher for grass fed beef soup bones.  He gave me about 8lbs of bones for $15.

I found a recipe over at Nom Nom Paleo.  I simmered about half the bones for 24 hours on low in the crockpot.  The bones I used were pretty fatty so I poured the broth in a bowl and put it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning I scooped off the fat.

And I was left with delicious beef jelly!


We had a cold dreary day here so I heated some up in a mug.  Instant comfort!

I wasn't sure about drinking bone broth but I can definitely see why people drink a mug a day.

Plus the dogs loved gnawing on the leftover bones!


Have you ever had bone broth?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow . . . okay, this really pushes the edges of my comfort zone . . . eek . . . beef jelly!? Very interesting though! Wow!

Tiffany said...

I haven't done beef yet, only chicken. I agree, it is fantastic by the mugful!!!!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Haha! Once you heat it up it all melts and is just like hot beef broth. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so curious what that tastes like!?!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Almost like a beef/chicken stock mix! It's really just homemade broth.

Erin said...

I think the last thing in the world that I would eat would be bone broth! Hahaha!
Meanwhle though, is your dog a doxie? I am IN LOVE with all things doxie and can't wait till I have my own place and can get one! What's his/her name?

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

He is! He's a standard long-haired. He's 9 and we've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's a great dog. He runs off leash, swims, and is awesome with the kids and other dogs.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

His name is Sonny. The kids call him Sonny Bunny.

Erin @ EatRunWrite.com said...

@Kristen @ Change of Pace

Aww he's just gorgeous! Sounds like you've brought him up really well!

Erin @ EatRunWrite.com said...

@Kristen @ Change of Pace

Aww he's just gorgeous! Sounds like you've brought him up really well!

Erin @ EatRunWrite.com said...

Aww he's just gorgeous! Sounds like you've done a great job raising him!

Ashley said...

I am interested to try Bone Broth since I have read that it's great for fighting off colds and flu's. But I am wary about the taste... I would think it would taste like just a soup broth but idk about drinking it from a mug...

Let me know if you feel any benefits from it?

The Primalist said...

Cute dog! I've always heard that cooked chicken bones can be lethal for dogs.. But from my experience, after I've cooked them for 48 hours, they practically fall apart.. in fact, i end up just eating some of them myself :P that's the beef bones for sure, can't remember about chicken..

Courtney said...

I've never had it before but I just might give it a try!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.