Monday, November 12, 2012

RECIPE: Paleo Thanksgiving Meatballs

Oh man have I got a recipe for you!

Since someone mentioned stuffing for Thanksgiving I've been dreaming these little babies up in my head.  Stuffing is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner.  I will be eating stuffing next Thursday and pumpkin pie.  It's one day people.  Live it up!

So you melt some butter and cook up some onion and celery just like you do stuffing.


Instead of adding it to bread you add it to ground turkey.


You roll it into little balls.


And bake them into heavenly stuffing like bites.


Paleo Thanksgiving Meatballs
(this made a dozen for me)

1lb ground turkey (I used 94% lean)
1/4 cup almond flour
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grass fed butter
1/4 cup celery finely diced
1/2 cup onion finely diced
1 garlic clove finely diced
1 teaspoon dried sage

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan.  Add the onions and celery.  Cook until onions are translucent and everything is soft.  Add the sage and garlic.  Cook until fragrant.

While everything is cooking put the turkey, almond flour, egg, and salt in a large bowl.  When the onion mixture is done add it to the turkey mixture.  Mix thoroughly.

Roll into balls and bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees.

These are so soft with just a hint of turkey day flavor.  Eat them plain or add them to butternut squash soup like I did!


I paleo-ized the butternut squash soup by using coconut oil instead of the evoo.  I also skipped the cheese and croutons.  That is my favorite butternut squash soup!  It freezes amazingly.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nummmy!!!

Danielle said...

These look awesome! I've never been a fan of stuffing anyway so I think these are way better! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the great idea-just popped some balls in the oven. Mine were chicken with garlic and ginger. :)

Anonymous said...

Okya-they turned out sooo yummy! Who knew meatballs were so easy to make? I did not! I love cooking stuff that is healthy and quick. :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Yay!!! They are easy to make :)

Courtney said...

These look amazing. Can't wait to try them! I'll be heading to the store tomorrow!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.