Monday, November 19, 2012

Comfort Dinner

Breakfast:

My appetite has been hit or miss in the morning anymore.  It's kind of weird.  Usually as soon as my feet hit the floor I'm ready for breakfast.  That hasn't been the case lately.  For about a month now I'm usually good with just a cup of coffee until 10ish.  That makes workouts difficult.

This morning I tried a green smoothie.  It was frozen spinach (thanks Cathy for that idea!), frozen banana, unsweetened almond milk, and sunflower seed butter.  It was perfect!  It wasn't too heavy and got me through my workout.

Gym:  Legggggs.  Why are legs so hard?  I did a mix of free weights, body weight exercises, and weight machines.  Plus 30 minutes walking on the treadmill.  

Snack:  An unpictured cherry pie larabar.

Lunch:

I threw some leftovers in a pan plus a fried egg.

The egg was so good on the squash!


Dinner:

I made dinner early in the day and portioned it out into containers.

Meatloaf and sweet potato mash.

Two dinners and two lunches.


Meatloaf (topped with avocado), green beans, sweet potato mash...



The meatloaf:

1lb grass fed beef
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup medium salsa
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove finely chopped

Baked for 20 minutes at 350* in jumbo muffin tins.

The sweet potato mash:

Four sweet potatoes boiled until soft.  I put them in the vitamix along with 2 tablespoons grass fed butter, a 1/2 cup or so of chicken stock, and 1t salt.

The husbands green beans:

3 strips of chopped up bacon cooked in a pot.  Add 1lb green beans and a few cups of chicken stock.  Enough to boil the green beans and not steam them.  Cooked until desired tenderness.

That dinner was 100% paleo and so comforting on a cold rainy day!

Are you a big breakfast eater?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a big fan of breakfast! But I'm also an ultra early riser, and workout first thing in the morning. So, by the time I shower and am heading to work (which is at 6:40 am), I am hungry! And being a teacher, I don't have another chance to eat until 11:00. So, breakfast is important to me! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh man that's early! I thought my kids were up early... 6am. :)

Danielle said...

I love that meatloaf recipe! Your meals all look awesome! I'm always inspired by your meals and get some great ideas for the week.

Nancy said...

I love your meatloaf recipe. I use the recipe on the back of the onion soup box, but I can't wait to try yours. I'm glad to see you use grass fed beef. That's the only type of meat I eat ever since I found out about how much healthier it is than grain fed. I found a great Ranch called La Cense Beef to order it from. As a matter of fact, I just placed an order online from their new catalog. Have you ever heard of them?

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness Oh geez! I'm always inspired by you too! :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Nancy We love grass fed beef because of course it's healthier for you but it tastes so good! I've never heard of that ranch... I will definitely check it out! Thanks for mentioning it to me :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.