Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stretch It Out (Lower Body)


Since starting the paleo diet I've been more in tune with my body.  It might sound strange but for some reason I can feel anything that's off.  I can also feel anything that's limiting.

Recently I noticed that the left side of my body is more flexible that my right.  I can sink lower in lunges and my right side determines how low I can get into a squat.  I talked to my trainer about it and he recommended stretching a few times a day and holding stretches for at least 30 seconds.  I'm so bad.  I never ever stretch.  Seriously, not before or after a workout.

I've been doing this set of stretches about two or three times a day and have noticed a dramatic difference in my workouts.  I am starting to balance out on both sides.  I hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds if not longer if I have time.  These are the specific order I do them in and it flows pretty nicely.  These aren't technical names.  They are just what I call them and I know my form isn't perfect.  Practice makes perfect!  

Forward fold


Walk out into plank- I hold plank for 30 seconds just for the calf stretch


Downward dog


Cobra 


Child's pose


Hip flexor- both sides 30 seconds


Hamstring- each side 30 seconds


Butterfly


Taking these pictures was hilarious.


My kids didn't know what was going on!


What would you add or change?  How often do you stretch?

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hip flexor is one of my favorites. I've been trying to stretch at least a little after I run. Forward fold with a wide stance is also one of my go-to stretches. I also squat with toes pointed out at an angle and press my elbows against my knees...great inner thigh stretch.
P.s. the pics are great :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Good ones! Love the squat idea!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh I am HORRRIBLE at stretching too. Occasionally, well rarely, I will stretch for like 1 minute after a tougher run. I have done yoga a couple times lately and I am liking it since I get my workout and stretching done at the same time. I need to get better about stretching because I am just asking for an injury!

Unknown said...

I love all these stretches . . . I've been pretty diligent about stretching, but I wish I spent more time on it. I really like stretching my lower back, so I would add doing plow pose (from yoga). I love it, and try to do it for about 1 minute every day.

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Girl, can you come to my house and stretch with me? I'm so tight, I need to make more time for this.

Erin @ EatRunWrite.com said...

I'm really impressed you managed to take these pictures with a self-timer! Great post :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.