Saturday, November 17, 2012

Chickens



If you were on twitter the other night you saw me complaining about chicken coop plans.

Yeah we are getting chickens.  Three chickens actually... on Monday.  That means we get to spend our weekend making them a home.


I've worked with animals my whole life.  I've worked at horse farms and vets offices.  I've taken care of goats, rabbits, horses, dogs, cats, rodents, fish, and even cows.  I have never taken care of a chicken.  I've never even touched a live chicken before.  I've had to do a ton of research on the little birds.  We want them as a pet but mostly for their eggs.  We eat around two dozen a week.

There isn't a food post today because we've been busy making the chicken coop.  It's been an all day long event...


But I definitely think all the love put into this will make our new chickens happy!


So far...

The rest will be done tomorrow.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Fun! My sis has goats and chickens. My parents also have chickens. Didn't have them growing up, it's just something they started recently. Love the pictures.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Tiffany Campiotti We are hoping they are easy to keep. We will see!

Charmaine said...

Awesome! I am having chicken envy. That's on top of my dog envy I already have :) Looks like a fun project and I am really looking forward to the updates once your "chickens come home to roost."

Danielle said...

Ahh how fun! That picture of your son measuring is priceless! What a cutie :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Charmaine I am just hoping they are as easy as they sound. We will see!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

This is awesome! If we had a bigger yard and more land we'd do it! Although, I'm not sure if our town allows it (I'd have to check on that). I'm so jealous you'll have fresh eggs:)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats We live in a neighborhood... kind of... Thankfully our road is a private road so I don't even know who we'd call to see if we can have chickens. Didn't even think about that one!

Unknown said...

Wow--what a project! I love the family pictures. Looks like fun!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.