Saturday, December 29, 2012

RECIPE: Paleo Parfait

Honestly, I don't really miss the things I've cut out of my diet.  I don't miss the actual food.  I do, however, miss the convenience of things.  I really miss the ease of cereal and yogurt bowls.  The other morning the husband ate the last three eggs.  Seriously, dude... you couldn't just leave one for me to make a paleo pancake. Typical man.  We didn't have any leftovers so I created the paleo parfait.

This recipe is nutritious, 100% paleo, and so versatile.


Paleo Parfait

1/4 cup nuts
1/4 cup coconut flakes or (salted cinnamon coconut chips!)
1/2 cup of fruit
1/4 cup coconut milk thickened in the fridge (open a can, stir it, and put it in the fridge overnight)


Combine coconut flakes and nuts in a pan.  If you are using the salted cinnamon coconut chips just add the nuts to the pan.  Toast over medium heat until golden and fragrant.  Layer the fruit, coconut milk, and nut/coconut flake mixture in a glass or bowl.

This doesn't have any grain in it but it made me feel like I was eating cereal!  It has the same crunchy texture and the coconut milk is similar to yogurt.


You could easily do different flavor combinations.
Pineapple, blackberries, coconut milk, walnuts, chia seeds, and salted cinnamon coconut chips.  Those coconut chips are to die for!  Scramble up some eggs for protein (if your husband doesn't eat them all!) and you've got an excellent breakfast!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, what kind of coconut milk do you use? Not sure I could handle a WHOLE 1/4 cup each of coconut and nuts (maybe a couple tbsps, but I fear my tummy would not be pleased with more)....not a lot of protein there though. Thoughts?
I like the idea of paleo,,,but love my yogurt and suspect an egg sensitivity (which is tragic cause I LOVE eggs). Rotten.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Scale it down a bit. 2 tablespoons almonds, 2 tablespoons coconut flakes, 2 tablespoons coconut milk, and 1/4 cup of fruit. Eat with a couple scrambled eggs or in your case some sausage and you're good!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh! I just use Whole Foods brand full fat coconut milk.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

"typical guy" . . . lol! So, you mean this doesn't just happen all the time to me?!?

I agree with the lack of convenience sometimes. But when I hit that point, I remind myself how much I enjoy making meals that are wholesome and delicious, and that usually sets me straight. :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I need to remind myself of that more often. It's so easy to give in to convenience foods.

Danielle said...

Love this recipe! I'm such a huge fan of cereal and yogurt and whenever I am strict Paleo it is what I miss the most!

Tiffany said...

Looks yummy :)

Anonymous said...

How yummy! I normally wouldn't think to combine all those flavors but it sounds so decadent!

Alaine @ My GF DF Living said...

Yumm what a nice looking parfait!

Mom on the Run said...

That is the hardest thing I found on Paleo is finding easy food to pack and eat. I did make my own "granola" bars that were great. That parfait looks amazing!

M.Love said...

I still haven't fallen in love with coconut milk - bought some almond milk to try. I understanding missing the easy and quickness of cereal or a sandwhich. But I love Paleo - hopefully I get better in 2013 of being more paleo! PS parfait looks yummy :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh my gosh I can drink coconut milk out of the can! I love almond milk too though.

Anonymous said...

What kind of coconut milk do you have? Looks SO thick!

Anonymous said...

I'm all kinds of discouraged cause I think I'm sensitive to eggs. Its because I eat SO many all the time. ...So I need to cut them out for a while, then re-introduce....I just don't have the willpower to do it yet. Sucks.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It's just the Whole Foods brand coconut milk. I also like Thai Kitchens Organic full fat coconut milk. It's pretty thick!

Brittany Peters said...

this looks sooo good :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

Yum! This sounds like a great alternative to the average parfait!

Sheena said...

Is it coconut milk or coconut milk in the can? :)

Kristen said...

Definitely out of a can! Coconut milk in the carton is junk. Look for full fat coconut milk in a can :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.