Thursday, December 20, 2012

RECIPE: Sausage and Sauerkraut

Ready for the easiest paleo meal ever? It's two ingredients and involves a crockpot.  Plus it's healthy for you!  Win, win, win!



Sausage and Sauerkraut

-25oz of raw sauerkraut (the ingredients should only be cabbage, water, salt- I used Bubbies)
-2 10oz packages of all natural Lil' Smokies (again whole ingredients- no nitrates- I used Pederson's)

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for four hours or until you reach your desired tenderness of the sauerkraut.

I put mine in storage containers for lunch later this week!

You can totally play around with the ratio too.  Like more kraut?  Omit a bag of smokies.  You could also use sliced sausage.

9 comments:

Danielle said...

I've never tried either of those things but now I'm curious! The kraut reminds me of spaghetti squash and I absolutely love that!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh my gosh you really do need to try this! The two of them together are so good!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I'm a huge fan of sauerkraut! I don't understand how most people shy away from it--it's so good!

Tiffany said...

Yum! I'll def be trying this. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles said...

Yum, I really like sauerkraut! Always forget to make it, but this is a good reminder

Unknown said...

Do uou think you could use your salt and vinegar cabbage recipe as the sauerkraut? I'm thinking about trying it this week.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Beth Lombardi Oh for sure! I love any kind of cabbage with pork :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Beth Lombardi Oh for sure! I love any kind of cabbage with pork :)

Unknown said...

@Kristen @ Change of Pace

Great! Thank you! I'm going to try it soon :)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.