Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thrown Off

This whole computer thing has me thrown off.  It's hard blogging on the hubs computer because I'm not used to it.  Let's get back into the swing of things shall we?

Dinner last night:  Alright that might be a little confusing but it'll have to do.

Local winter strawberries, local pork sausage (SO GOOD!), two scrambled local eggs. 

Local local local.  All organic?  No.  Cheaper to buy local?  YES!  Aly over at Sweet and Savory Eats said my groceries look pricey.  The berries were not organic. The pork rated a 5+.  The highest in animal welfare standards.  The eggs weren't organic but they are from local and pastured hens. 

I've found that organic is not always best.  A lot of times it comes from pretty far away and it's really expensive.  Plus it doesn't look that great.  We spend a lot on groceries but that's something we both agreed was important.  We skimp on other things.  Plus I do my best to meal plan and stick only to our grocery list when we shop.  There were only two things that weren't on our grocery list that we bought yesterday. 

Breakfast today:

Paleo pancake topped with banana, coconut flakes, and sunflower seed butter.

Along with halfcaf. 

I've got a serious addiction.  Coffee.  I'm trying to wean myself off little by little.  Starting with halfcaf in the mornings.

Gym:  An hour of body combat!  I was at the gym at 8:00 this morning.  Where were you?!

Lunch:

The hubs made salads for lunch.  You won't see many salads on this blog because I don't like salad.  Honestly, I don't really like veggies.  This salad was good though.  It had spinach, carrots, celery, red pepper, local bacon, applegate farms deli turkey, and walnuts.  Topped with Brianna's so not paleo Champagne Caper Vinaigrette

On another note... Our chickens are getting big! 


They have gotten used to us and they are REALLY friendly. 


Did you know chickens eat anything? 

They love sweet potato mash, apples, and the ends of bread.  Spoiled girls. 

DINNER:  Look for it on twitter later!  We are going out for the husbands birthday.  This old man is 30!


Do you strictly buy organic or local?  How important is your food purchases to you?

12 comments:

jill said...

I was on the rainy trails this morning having a great hike at 8am. Saw wild Boars!!! Groceries are worth the expense to me if it is quality...Have a great weekend!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@jill I'm not even surprised that you were out and about at 8 this morning! Totally agree with you on the groceries. :)

Mom on the Run said...

There are certain things that I must buy organic (milk being my top priority). I am one that goes to different stores to get different bargains. Not afraid to travel a tiny bit more for good groceries.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Me either! We actually shop at a few different stores.

Danielle said...

Love to hear I'm not alone on my dislike of veggies too! I'm not a big fan of salads either! Good to know I"m not alone :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Happy Birthday to your husband! Have fun!

I have heard that local "trumps" organic when you have the choice. Which makes sense, especially if local means your supporting smaller farms that are probably using practices pretty close to be organic anyways.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness Yeah I kind of have to force the veggies in :/

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Ah...you called me out:) I agree with you, you have to determine what you want to spend money on and food is a top priority. I am girl that would much rather go grocery shopping and get good food than go clothes shopping!

I also sometimes wish we lived on a farm so I had chickens, cows and pigs...food right in my yard!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats I did not call you out! You had a great comment. It does look pricey so I had to explain why we spend what we do. I too would rather go food shopping than clothes shopping!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

LOL:) I know, was just joking with ya! Love your posts and your food!

Anonymous said...

we go local over organic, preferably both though. We joined a CSA this summer and it was awesome! We also have had good luck with our fall garden and have tons of collard greens, mustard greens, and broccoli. When the girls play out back they just walk up to the garden, pick off a pepper or broccoli and eat it as they run around the yard. I really need to look into the chickens...

The Primalist said...

So I'll be the first here to say I go organic over local. It's different if you know your farmer, etc. But If I'm standing at the grocery store, and one sign says local and the other says organic, I'll go for the organic every time. I don't want pesticides/chemicals, no matter how "local" they are. And unless I know the farmer, "local" doesn't mean anything other than the farm being relatively close by. Of course if they're both organic, I'll pick the one from the farm closest to me.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.