Sunday, December 30, 2012

Mayo Fail

Breakfast this morning started last night.


About 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk with 1/2 cup mixed berries.  Left in the fridge to soak.


This morning I dumped the berry mix in a bowl and topped it with toasted walnuts and coconut flakes. This is so good and refreshing! Plus I had two eggs scrambled in coconut oil.

LB does the same thing every morning.

He eats his own breakfast since I feed him first...


Then he climbs on the table and sits in front of me to see what I have.  He almost always eats a portion of my breakfast.  He could easily be a paleo kid.  I still haven't researched that enough.

Gym:  Rest day!  Whooo hoo!  It was much needed.

We spent the majority of our day messing with paleo mayo.

I followed Melissa's recipe from Well Fed but could not get it to emulsify.  I'm a pretty good cook.  I wouldn't say I'm great but I can always get things figured out.  This mayo was beyond frustrating!


After the fifth try we finally got it.


The directions said to put the blender on medium.  Well we used the vitamix.  Medium in a vitamix actually heats food.  It was melting it every time.


We turned the vitamix down to two and finally got it!  Holy yum.  I will never ever buy store mayo again.

Lunch:  was unpictured again.  What's my deal?!  We snacked through lunch.  Mostly deli turkey dipped in that mayo!  We did have some veggies too.

Dinner:

Grass fed NY strips with herb butter!  1/2 cup grass fed butter, 1T dried chives, 1T fresh rosemary, 1 grated garlic clove, 1t balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. You could easily use any herbs you have.  It was SO good.

Have you ever really failed at a recipe?

11 comments:

M.Love said...

I LOVE that mayo -- thankfully I've never had the issue of it melting :) Borning old school blender here :) PS little bit is SUPER cute :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It is amazing mayo! The vitamix is great but definitely has pros and cons. It's a learning experience that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh baby, I've been craving steak lately and your NY strips actually have my mouthwatering...embarrassing. ;)

Brittany Peters said...

Aww LB is sooo adorable! Your food looks soooo good! I am contemplating on switching to a Paleo diet, but I am afraid that I will not be able to stick to it.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Just try it for a bit. I stick to 90/10. I try to eat paleo 100% of the time but that 10% leaves some room for treats :)

Danielle said...

Your breakfast looks amazing! That picture of you and your son on the table is priceless. So adorable! Happy New Year!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I wonder what the research says about kids eating a paleo diet . . . Now that you mention it, I don't know that I've heard much about it. I should do a little research! :) Happy New Year!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

That steak dinner is mouth watering!

AllThingsYummy said...

I hate when a recipe fails. My major failure was macarons. So frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Mayo can definitely be an interesting challenge; we use our old-school blender, and it comes out well every time (knock on wood)! We make small quantities at a time, but it's just a combination of:

1 egg (you can also add an extra yolk if you're going for more of an aioli)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp mustard (either seed or wet mustard, we're lazy and do wet mustard)
1 C oil (1/2 C coconut mixed with 1/2 C olive--walnut or macadamia add great flavors, but are unnecessary)

Place all but oil in the blender, and then slowly pour (1 Tbsp at a time) the oil into the blender, it should emulsify as you slowly add. We put it on puree and it's always a good charm. I once read that in a pinch a Tbsp of water will help the emulsification if it gets stuck.

Can't blame you though--once you get it, homemade mayo beats the pants off anything store bought! Plus you're not left with a gallon jug of it to find space for in the fridge. :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@vahuntergatherers Sometimes the vitamix is more of a hassle than it's worth. I've had it for about 6 months now and am still getting the hang of it. The trick was to put it on low instead of medium speed. I am definitely going to try the different oils! I never thought of making it with anything besides olive oil.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.