Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Back To It

Breakfast:

We had a doctor's appointment for LB at 7am this morning... an hour a way.  We were all up way earlier than anyone wanted to be.  I made a green smoothie at 5am.  It had SFH grass fed whey chocolate powder, spinach, banana, and almond milk.  Plus coffee with coconut milk to go!

Gym:  I did an hour of body combat and then worked legs for a little bit.  I did extensions, curls, lunges, and leg presses.

Snack:

My snack was packed at 5am when I made my smoothie.  Coconut water and carrots.

Lunch:

I used up all the leftovers in the fridge.  Plain spaghetti squash, salt and vinegar cabbage, ground pork, riced cauliflower, and a quarter of an avocado.  It was actually really good!

Dinner:
I can't share with you what I ate for dinner tonight because it's a recipe post but I'll share what we had last night.

Chicken No Noodle Soup:  I put a couple chicken quarters and a chicken breast in the slow cooker with some water.  I cooked it on low for about four hours.  Then I strained the broth, pulled the meat off the quarters, and chopped the chicken breast.  I put the meat and broth back in the slow cooker along with carrots, onion, celery, thyme, salt, and pepper.

Not everything needs a recipe.  That's the beautiful thing about paleo.  Just throw some stuff together and it always tastes good!

Do you use recipes or just wing it?

12 comments:

jill said...

Is your body combat Les Mills? That class is hardcore! :) In a good way. I made so much food this week I am hoping I don't waste any! I use recipes about half the time and wing it the rest. Tried coconut milk in my coffee this morning. I liked it.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@jill Yep I do the Les Mills combat twice a week. It is my favorite thing to do at the gym. Glad you liked the coconut milk. I love it for the creaminess!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I actually wing it quite a bit. And isn't it the truth that combining a few great quality ingredients will almost always turn out delicious!?! I'm curious about the recipe post . . . . :)

Danielle said...

Everything looks awesome. Love that chicken no noodle soup idea. Perfect for the cold weather lately!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

Geez, it seems like spaghetti squash is all over the WIAW posts on the blogs today. I think it is a sign that I need to make and eat some before it starts to go out of season and gets incredibly expensive.

Anonymous said...

I love winging it, I feel like that's when I make the best food. I'm so awful at sticking with exact recipes! I almost always change something when I'm "following" a recipe and a majority of the time I don't even look at a recipe :P

Unknown said...

Depending on what's in my pantry I either wing it or follow a recipe. Sometimes the best meals come from winging it. That chicken no noodle soup is a great idea and looks really good! Thanks for sharing!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

That is usually how I do my chicken noodle soup as well - homemade broth, some seasoning, veggies, chicken....just throw it all in!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

I'm definitely a "just wing it" kind of girl. If I find a recipe I like, I just eye ball the ingredients and usually make my own adjustments.

Unknown said...

I need to get into using spaghetti squash more! I tried it for the first time a few months ago, and wasn't overly impressed but I think I didn't get a very good squash!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Natalie Ford Spaghetti squash can be a little "blah". You have to season it pretty well. Plus I think people think it's going to replace pasta. Nothing can replace noodles ;)

Miranda @ Biting Life said...

I'll usually start off with a recipe (whether it's my own or somebody else's), but end up changing it a lot by the end. I think that's normal, though, because everybody has different tastes. I just talked to somebody the other day who said that they have to ALWAYS follow recipes, and get really confused when it says something like "add salt, to taste" because she can't do it! That's just so weird to me, haha. I guess you kind of have to be born with the cooking gene or not!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.