Tuesday, January 8, 2013

RECIPE: Hamburger Helper

I have been making this for a few weeks now and it has really helped us out. No I didn't find a miracle recipe to duplicate hamburger helper. I found a way to let hamburger help us out. I make this on Sunday and we eat it throughout the week for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

It's easy and versatile so feel free to sub any ingredients to make it more you.

Here's how I do it.

I take peppers and onions and sautéed them in coconut oil.  Just until the are soft.


I add the mushrooms and garlic and cook them for a minute or so.


Then I add the grass fed beef or the less fancy term: hamburger.


I season it with lots of salt and pepper...  The husband would add something spicy here.  I don't like spicy food.


And cook until the beef is done.


We keep it in the meat drawer of our fridge.

It already has some veggies in it so you can add another vegetable (maybe something green?) and it's already a meal!  You could add taco seasoning, curry powder, or italian seasoning.  I just add the salt and pepper so that way I can make it whatever I want later in the week.  

For breakfast I add eggs...


For an easy breakfast scramble.


Or broccoli, carrots, green beans, and sunshine sauce for a quick lunch/dinner stirfry!


Need it more specific?

Hamburger "Helper"

1/2 cup chopped peppers
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1lb grass fed beef
Salt and pepper

Saute the peppers and onions in the coconut oil until they are soft.  Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant.  Add the beef and season generously with salt and pepper.  Cook until the beef is cooked all the way through.  Store in a container in the fridge.

Try a variation- Taco Hamburger Helper


What is your favorite "helper" in the kitchen?

25 comments:

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Love it. Having something so versatile is key! I know it's not paleo, but I do a similar idea with quinoa. I cook a big batch with barely any seasoning--sometime no seasoning at all. Then I add it to stuff throughout the week. We've used it as a taco filler or winter squash stuffing. Tonight it was the base of a big stir-fry (instead of using rice). My more paleo version would be cooking a bunch of chicken in the slow cooker--using only broth. We shred the chicken and use it for all sorts of things throughout the week!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Great idea! We eat a TON of "hamburger" as well. But also a lot of deer meat (as the husband shot it himself this winter - so it was FREE and free range!), so I'm always looking for new things to do with it!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It really is nice to have it on hand. I know there's always something to eat!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Ally I'm so jealous! I would love to have venison!

M.Love said...

Easy and great idea!! Yum! Thanks for sharing :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@M.Love Sure :)

Katherine said...

This looks good!

How was the green smoothie challenge for you? :)

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Ugh I sucked at it. I think I made it 5 of the 7 days though. I need more variation in my smoothies.

Autumn@GoodEatsGirl said...

What a great idea! I love just being able to grab this out of the fridge and use it for any meal!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It's one of those that just makes life a little easier. :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

How creative! This would be great to make with black beans or pinto beans as a vegetarian version :).

Christine said...

The green smoothie I had the last few days is sooooo delicious. It's recent from oh she glows. Your meal looks great. I just read your about page and your kid food page. I like your routine so it reduces planning. I need to try that. Kids love routine.

Brittany @ DulceVie said...

That looks amazing! I need to try this sometime :)

Kate Kedziora said...

Yumm! Grassfed beef with veggies in the skillet is one of my favorite go-to meals. This made me laugh a little, just because I remembered how many times my family ate the boxed hamburger helper when I was little, ick!!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Kate Kedziora We used to eat it all the time too! That and a can of corn or green beans. Times were different then!

Danielle said...

What a great idea! I totally forgot about how much I used to love hamburger helper as a kid until I saw this post ;) I love having my proteins cooked and on hand for the week because otherwise I'll never get around to cooking them! This is perfect for me.

Tiffany said...

Love this!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I was a little leary...but I've grown to love my freezer stocked! In soups, chilis, and sauces I can't even tell the difference!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I totally agree with you. I almost prefer a freezer meal because its easier!

kim@hungryhealthygirl said...

I absolutely love this idea, especially with the eggs add in...yum! When I saw the title was "Hamburger Helper" I was a little worried!!! ;)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

That looks great! I love how it is so versatile!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@kim@hungryhealthygirl At first I was thinking it was a little strange to post this as a recipe but I think people think too hard about things and make things too complicated. We overlook the little things that can make our lives easier.

When I told my husband what I titled this post I thought I was so clever. He just shook his head at me. Glad you almost fell for it ;)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@kim@hungryhealthygirl At first I was thinking it was a little strange to post this as a recipe but I think people think too hard about things and make things too complicated. We overlook the little things that can make our lives easier.

When I told my husband what I titled this post I thought I was so clever. He just shook his head at me. Glad you almost fell for it ;)

Anonymous said...

mmmm I love cooking ground beef like this and using it all week!

Miranda @ Biting Life said...

I love that you add vegetables to yours! That's a great way to make this meal even healthier. I try to do that with my meals too. I added a bunch of bell peppers to the dish when I made sweet and sour chicken. That way both me AND my boyfriend end up happy ;)

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.