Thursday, January 31, 2013

It's Done

We ripped the bandaid off.  I am normally pretty good at deployments but this one has hit me really hard.  Which is why I've been laying low on the internet for the past few days.  All I wanted to do today is stay on the couch hiding under a blanket.  Thankfully, I didn't do that.  I went to the gym, red and puffy eyed, and got my butt kicked by my trainer.  Then I went to a playdate and to Target.  The kids were angels and I was fueled on coffee and endorphins.  It couldn't have been a much better day and I really needed it!

Breakfast:

Paleo pancake, sun butter, banana, and salted cinnamon coconut chips.  One of the best flavor combinations ever.

Gym:  A killer leg workout with my trainer plus 30 minutes walking on the treadmill on an incline.

Lunch:

Leftover cabbage rolls.  For this I used Ally's slow cooker cabbage roll recipe.  The only thing I did differently was added a cup of sautéed riced cauliflower instead of the brown rice.  It was delicious!  Mine didn't turn out as pretty as hers.

Dinner:

What do they call the taco flavored hamburger helper?  Nacho?  Taco?  Fiesta?  Ehh let's call this one taco hamburger helper because it tastes just like the insides of a taco.


Taco Hamburger Helper

1lb ground beef
4 cups peppers chopped (it ended up being 3 peppers)
1/2 cup onion
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1 garlic clove minced
1 tablespoon taco seasoning*
1/2 cup of tomato sauce
Boston lettuce for wrapping

Sauté the peppers and onions in the coconut oil until they are soft. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the beef and season with taco seasoning. Cook until the beef is cooked all the way through.  Add the tomato sauce and let simmer for 10 minutes.  Store in a container in the fridge or wrap up in lettuce leaves.  Make sure to garnish with avocado because I didn't and I really missed it!



*I make my own taco seasoning and you should too!


It tastes just like the packets of taco seasoning.


What do you do to get yourself out of a funky mood?

14 comments:

amanda @ fake ginger said...

Hugs to you lady! And major props for getting yourself to the gym!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

I wanted to let you know that I've been thinking of you as I knew this day was coming for you and your family. I can't imagine what it's like but I hope you can stay strong! Will he get to come home at all during the 7 months?

Glad you liked the cabbage rolls. Did you end up using the pasta sauce?

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats No he won't get to come home. Time goes by fast some days and then super slow some days. The key is to stay super busy.

I ended up using tomato sauce. I think I overcooked mine. I think next time I'll do the 6 hours instead of 8. I love the combo though. They were even great leftover!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats No he won't get to come home. Time goes by fast some days and then super slow some days. The key is to stay super busy.

I ended up using tomato sauce. I think I overcooked mine. I think next time I'll do the 6 hours instead of 8. I love the combo though. They were even great leftover!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

I will be thinking about you in this tough time. Try to smile! :)

Those cabbage rolls look and sound really good! Which is so odd for me to say because I have never been known to be a big cabbage person.

M.Love said...

Thinking about you buddy -- I'm not far if you need me :) Your taco stuff sounds fabulous! nomnomnom

jill said...

7 months? Wow! I can't imaging how hard that it. Keep your chin up! When I need a mood lifter/changer I workout----especially yoga.

Buttercup said...

You've been in my prayers and you all will continue to be. I'll be looking for the banana chips. It's a paleo pancake weekend.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

I was just thinking about you, and wondering what you were up to. Sorry to hear that the deployment has had a rocky start. Hang in there!

Like you, working out helps me when I'm in a funk. That, and sometimes a little online shopping. ;)

P.S. I have GOT to try making cabbage rolls. And homemade taco seasoning is a must--I haven't bought the packaged stuff in years--love knowing exactly what's going into it. Happy Friday!

Crystal Coco said...

The time will fly by.. Keep your head high! Pancakes look amazing :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

You guys are amazing. Thank you for all of your sweet words.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

Glad you had a great day! You are one strong wife/mama! I'm sure you and the kids will do great for this last one. Praying for you!

Danielle said...

Major hugs to you! I'll be thinking of your family and praying for you :)

Anonymous said...

Sending my positive thoughts to you! Stay strong girl!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.