Sunday, January 6, 2013

RECIPE: The Perfect Paleo Pancakes

If you are new to making paleo pancakes I think you either like them or don't. I hate to break it to you but they do not taste like regular pancakes. It's like spaghetti squash. Does it taste like spaghetti? NOPE. You do get used to the flavor and texture though. You actually learn to like it. Does it beat hot pasta and your moms homemade spaghetti and meatballs?  I'll let you answer that one. You have to remind yourself that it's the health benefits that matter.

If you are really looking for that pancake texture try the almond flour pancake recipe and don't skimp on the toppings. Splurge a little and add a drizzle of maple syrup until you get used to it.

Anyways...

I know I've posted this technique before but I feel that if I eat something five days a week it probably needs it's own recipe post.


The paleo or not really two ingredient pancake isn't really a recipe.  It's a technique and can actually be kind of tricky.  I can't even remember who's blog I saw it posted on first but it has become a big part of my life.

Here's how I do it.

I start with one really ripe banana and one egg.


I chop a quarter of the banana off and set it aside.  Then mash the rest of the banana in a bowl.  You want to mash it really well.  Like really really well.


Whisk in your egg.


Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil or grass fed butter in a pan on medium-low heat.  See how it's not two ingredients?!  Pour in the pancake batter.


Let the pancake cook for about five minutes on one side.  You don't want to try to turn it too soon or it will fall apart.  It won't bubble like a real pancake so you'll have to check it periodically to see if it's ready.  Flip it over and let the other side cook for about two minutes.

Here's the trick y'all.  You've got to cook these low and slow.  Don't rush it or you'll have a scramble instead of a pancake.  You have to let that egg cook all the way through on the one side so it won't break.  The heat has to be low so the egg doesn't burn.  It's kind of a learning process with your stove.


My favorite way to top it is with that 1/4 of the banana, sunflower seed butter, and salted cinnamon coconut chips.  It makes the perfect breakfast paired with a side of bacon and coffee.

Another version I do adds one egg white and 1/4 cup of almond flour to the original ingredients.


Topped with salted cinnamon coconut chips...


It's amazing!


Paleo Pancake or Not Really Two Ingredient Pancake

1 egg
1 medium ripe banana
1 teaspoon coconut oil or grass fed butter

Chop a quarter of the banana off and set it aside to use as a topping.  Then mash the rest of the banana in a bowl.  You want to mash it really well.  Whisk in your egg.  Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil or grass fed butter in a pan on medium-low heat. Pour in the pancake batter.  Let the pancake cook for about five minutes on one side.  You don't want to try to turn it too soon or it will fall apart.  Low and slow is the key.  Flip it over and let the other side cook for about two minutes.

Almond Flour Paleo Pancake

1 egg
1 egg white
1/4c almond flour
1 medium ripe banana
1 teaspoon coconut oil or grass fed butter

Chop a quarter of the banana off and set it aside to use as a topping.  Then mash the rest of the banana in a bowl.  You want to mash it really well.  Whisk in your egg, egg whites, and almond flour.  Melt a teaspoon of coconut oil or grass fed butter in a pan on medium-low heat. Pour in the pancake batter.  Let the pancake cook for about five minutes on one side.  You don't want to try to turn it too soon or it will fall apart.  Low and slow is the key.  Flip it over and let the other side cook for about two minutes.

Try some variations!

Blueberry Pancakes- add a 1/4 cup of blueberries to your "batter" plus grass fed butter on the top


• Blueberry Lemon Paleo Pancakes


Banana Bread Pancakes


If you try these let me know!  I'd love feedback on any of them or other variations you've made!

43 comments:

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way said...

Well that looks positively delicious!

I've never seen this before and am rather intrigued! My favorite pancake topping is crunchy barnie butter and banana with a drop or two of maple syrup! The barnie butter melts beautifully!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Gosh this is crazy because I' 've been thinking about these pancakes all day today...I saw someone else post about them...I need to make! Can you use bananas that have been in the freezer?

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Katie@Real Food Katie's Way You'll have to try this! It's really simple and yummy. Nut butter and banana are my fav too :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Sweet and Savory Eats I wouldn't... Only because those bananas get a little too mushy for me. I don't know though! Could be possible!

Anonymous said...

mmmm I totally have the two ingredient pancake every morning. Except mine really is two ingredients because I got this awesome new non-stick pan for christmas. My fav topping is definitely raw coconut butter... or almond butter... mmmmmmmm.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

I have seen this before on other blogs, but I appreciate your step-by-step tutorial. I will definitely have to give it a go one of these mornings!

I just made vegan pumpkin pancakes tonight and topped them with pumpkin butter. Pumpkin overload? No way! ;) That just might be my new favorite topping.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

There is no such thing!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Jessie, I guess you don't really need the oil. I like the way the butter tastes though ;)

Brittany @ DulceVie said...

I think I started to drool while looking at those pictures....

Mom on the Run said...

I think I am going to try this out next weekend. It looks so good. I love fresh berries on my pancakes. Especially in the summer.

Tiffany said...

Yummy 👍

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Mom on the Run Me too! I also like defrosted mixed berries from the freezer. When they defrost they make berry syrup!

Unknown said...

That looks reall good! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That looks reall good! I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Let me know if you like them!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

Blueberries!!! They are the best pancake topper, but even better if they are cooked into the pancakes! :)

Danielle said...

Love this! You know I'm all about the Paleo pancake :)

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

If only I could sneak a veggie in there!

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles said...

YUM! I've tried these before and mine didn't come out so pancake-looking in the pan...but I think I wasn't patient enough.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Maybe try the one with almond flour. It is more pancake like!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats said...

I love both variations of the Paleo pancake! I do love some regular old maple syrup on my pancakes!

Anonymous said...

This two ingredient pancake is beyond incredible. I love adding things like flax and PB2 to give it an extra punch. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with pancakes!! I haven't tried this simple recipe, however I feel like whenever pancakes are just egg and a couple other ingredients, it tastes too eggy. Do you add anything to it like cinnamon? I think that would be good.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It can taste a little eggy. I don't add cinnamon but I add a ton of toppings. Try the almond flour one! It doesn't taste as eggy :)

Sarah said...

WOW! Just made this for breakfast! Delish! Thanks so much for the recipe.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

So glad you liked it Sarah!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! I keep seeing this recipe all over the internet....I must try it!
What kind of almond butter do you love? Looking for a good one...thank you!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

I actually use a lot of sunflower seed butter but I love Whole Foods creamy raw almond butter.

Lee said...

I was just catching up on your blog and need to make these. They look delicious.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Lee It's probably my favorite paleo recipe! You do need to try it!

Theresa Venglarik Kohler said...

Holy big YUMMY pancake!!! I had no idea that the pancake would fill the pan like that! It was delicious and sweet :) I LOVE sweet!!! (especially without adding sugar) My hubby, who has a really hard time appreciating health foods, really liked them too! A miracle : ) Thanks for the recipe, I'm doing an 8 week fitness challenge so this is perfect to put on the forum - I'll be sure to add your web address too!

Anonymous said...

Just awesome!

Matt said...

I will be making these for breakfast :)

Christine M. Campanella Dixon said...

I just used frozen bananas and they worked relatively well! Yippee:) I tried microwaving them that was a no go, they needed to defrost on the counter or defrost option on microwave.

Adriana Gutierrez said...

These were excellent. I accidentally used 1/3 cup of almond flour and they came out perfect. I did add a splash of vanilla extract. Blueberries in them made them even more delicious.

Adriana Gutierrez said...

I would think some shredded carrots or zucchini would work just fine. Maybe the zucchini could be substituted for the banana in a savory version. Think bacon crumbles and herbs.

Adriana Gutierrez said...

Ha, ha! Anybody notice the Bisquick ad that popped up at the end of the comments? I guess the Google ad algoritms no comprende paleo :)!

Frederick Ancheta said...

this looks pretty freakin delicious... will def have to try this!

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

Thanks so much for this! I had a really bad craving for pancakes and this did the trick perfectly. I did the second version and I know I'll be making many more of those! :)

alice said...

we are recently trying the paleo lifestyle in our house, and my partner was rather reluctant (a maritime shiftworker).
I gave him these with some bacon for breakfast one obscenely early morning, and he hasn't looked back, even giving in to having grated cauliflower as a rice substitute!

Kristen said...

So glad you liked them! :)

Kristen said...

Yay! So glad you liked them!!!

Kristen said...

YESSSS! Men are so hard headed!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.