Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weekend Vacay

If you are on instagram you probably saw that we weren't home this weekend! The hubs and I took the kiddos to an indoor water park on Sunday.

My husband and I have reached a point in paleo where if we eat grains or dairy it makes us sick.  A few bites of rice or a cracker here or there is fine and an occasional splash of cream in my coffee is alright.  If we eat a portion of grain or dairy we feel nauseous and almost hungover.  It is definitely not worth any type of splurge.  It is a good thing but can be a little challenging.  Especially when we go out of town.  Normally, we all eat whatever we want (kids included).  It physically could not happen this time though!  Thankfully our hotel had a mini kitchen so we stopped at Whole Foods on our way out of town.


The kitchen was well equipped to cook just about anything.  The husband decided on sliders while we were at the grocery store.


We got a pound of grass fed beef, bacon, butter lettuce, pickles, grainy mustard, unsweetened ketchup, and some strawberries.


We also picked up the kids a pizza!


If you can tolerate cheese this pizza is amazing.  It's SO good!  It's the kids favorite frozen pizza and it's a little funny that it's gluten free.


The kids didn't really care what they were eating.  They had a blast eating on the hotel floor watching Cinderella.


We spent Sunday splashing in the water.




Then on Monday we went to the Ripley's aquarium.


My kids are at an awesome age.


They listen pretty well...


And they are learning so much!




How do you eat on vacation?

• Back to food posts tomorrow!

12 comments:

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance said...

We could totally travel together!! I always pack my own breakfasts. And if we have a kitchen or mini-kitchen (which we often do!), we'll cook many of our meals to save money and cook food we know we'll enjoy. :)

Looks like a fun trip--I love the aquarium!

Crystal Coco said...

They look like they had a great time! I love the aquarium myself :)

Danielle said...

Looks like such a fun trip. I always make sure to pack extra food to have on hand when I travel. It's just nice to know I have that option!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

It is just easier that way! I used to think it was a hassle but now I'd rather make my own food than eat out.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Crystal Coco I do too but I spend a lot of time photographing... obviously ;)

Anonymous said...

I always eat horribly on vacation! Glad you were able to stop at whole foods.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl said...

That is awesome that your hotel room had a mini kitchen. That certainly make it a lot easier to eat healthy while traveling.

Buttercup said...

I love having a kitchen on vacation. My last time away in March we had a big kitchen and filled up on healthy snacks and veggies and it worked great. Still ate out and had some less healthy choices, but packed snacks for the car.

P.S. Semi-paleo going great. Tonight was paleo pancakes. Yummy and healthy. No syrup, just apple sauce on the side. Appreciate your sweet notes.

Tiffany said...

Love it! Looks like you had an amazing time!

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

@Carol Z I like that idea... Just having the healthy options there and eating out when you want to. Glad paleo is going well for you! It takes some time adjusting so don't get discouraged!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily said...

Your kids are SO adorable!!! My brother is getting married Friday night and we are staying in the hotel tomorrow night and Friday night, thankfully we have a suite with a fridge, so I'll be bringing along all of our essentials.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily

M.Love said...

That's by my house! You were in the Smokies :) Glad ya'll have fun! Your munchkins are SUPER cute!

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietician nor do I have any type of medical training. Anything documented on this blog is my personal opinion or a learned experience.